Monday, February 2, 2009

Half Marathon!

I told you this would be a journey that we'll go on together. My fabulous and crazy Swiss roommate somehow got us all to sign up for the half marathon in Provo in April! A full marathon is 26 miles, so the half is only 13. Only. Haha but I'm excited. We've all started training and I've come to realize that I really do enjoy running. I feel like my body is like - "THANK YOU!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MOVING!!"
For anybody that wants to do anything of this sort - I'd HIGHLY suggest going to active.com and just browsing the different fun active things you can get involved in. If I can do it - then anyone can!
Also - here are some really good running tips I found on-line for rookies like me!


"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

1 comment:

  1. Brittney -- good for you for training for the half! So good to hear from you! How do you like BYU? What's your major? I loved BYU!

    I ran 3 full marathons last year -- crossing the finish line is ultimately an indescribable feeling. And I'll do it again -- after baby 4. Words of advice? Run hills -- even if your course is flat -- hills help with endurance and speed. Also, train up to 15 miles, so that the 13.1 (and don't forget the point one) will seem like a piece of cake. Oh, and eat before you're hungry and before you're sweaty. Not that I'm a pro -- but I was trained by a "pro" and made it through 3 marathons without bonking -- send me your email. Would love to chat more! Looking forward to hearing all about your race! -- Sister Parkin -- but call me Rebecca since you're like in you 20's now!

    ReplyDelete