Monday, April 13, 2009

Q&A


Here are some answers to some common running questions for beginners (like me):

Is running outside the same as running on a treadmill?
-They're about the same , but you won't burn as many calories on a treadmill.

When should I replace my running shoes?
- Wearing worn-out shoes is the biggest risk for injuries. You should replace your shoes every 300-400 miles. Don't look at the bottom of the shoe to see if you need new ones - rather, look at the inside sole.

How can I find a running program if I'm starting from the beginning?
- You can find lots of running schedules on-line for every stage of running experience.

How can I avoid muscle cramps?
- Stay hydrated. Many cramps are due to dehydration. Make sure you stretch before and after.

When should I stretch?
- There's no right or wrong answer to this, just stretch whenever you feel you need to.

What part of my foot should I land on when I run?
- You should land mid-sole. Land on the ball of your foot and then go forward to your toes. Running on your toes causes shin splints from working your calves too much.

How do I get rid of a side-stitch?
- A side-stitch occurs when your diaphragm cramps up due to improper breathing. If it's cold outside you may increase side-stitches so try breathing through a scarf. Also - try not to eat too closely to when you go running. In general, if you get a side-stitch try altering your breathing pattern. Take a deep breath and slowly let it out.

What type of socks are best to run in?
- Don't get 100% cotton because when it gets wet it stay wet and that causes blisters. Synthetic materials are the best for wicking away moisture.

What is Fartlek Training?
- Fartlek training is a technique where during your run you run little sprints throughout. You can mark a landmark, like a stoplight or a streetlamp and run faster than your normal pace for about 30 secs or about 200m and then slow down until your breathing becomes normal then continue with your normal pace. Repeat this several times to increase your speed and anaerobic threshold.

Why is jogging so good for me?
- Because it prolongs life and also:
  • less thickening of the coronary arteries
  • better heart muscle function
  • higher oxygen uptake
  • a more effective system for breaking down blood clots

No comments:

Post a Comment